Rural Counts. A simple message... with broad implications.
The Rural Center was founded 30 years ago with the belief that Rural Counts, and we have been working for three decades with rural communities across North Carolina to promote their value, build upon their assets, and improve the quality of life for all citizens of North Carolina.
As we look to the future, we recognize that now more than ever, rural North Carolina needs to clearly articulate what it offers the state, present its values and assets in positive terms, and work together across communities and regions to implement smart strategies that will help rural areas flourish.
The Rural Center's advocacy agenda, Rural Counts: 10 Strategies for Rural North Carolina's Future, is the product of closely listening to North Carolinian's and deeply researching the issues. The 10-point plan reflects what we heard directly from you. It is offered in the best North Carolina tradition of partnership and collaboration and represents a determination to meet our rural future head-on. It is an example of our deep belief that we are one state that we must move forward together.
- Learn about the Rural Counts strategy with this foldable, one-page summary of the 10 Strategies. Distribute far and wide!
- Dig deeper into the 10 Strategies For Rural North Carolina's Future to learn more about the issues.
- Wondering how we plan to get all of this done? Check out our guide to the policy-changing process.
- Register as a Rural Counts Advocate to endorse the strategies and receive our Rural Counts monthly newsletter, along with updates about opportunities to engage.
- Check out this list of 10 ways that you can show your support for Rural Counts
- To request a Rural Center speaker to talk to your group about Rural Counts, please write to John Coggin, Director of Advocacy, email@example.com
2017 Advocacy Priorities
- Read our 2017 advocacy priorities along each of the Rural Counts strategies.
North Carolina Advocacy
- Use our handy NCGA Bill Tracker to keep up-to-date on legislation pertaining to the 10 Rural Counts Strategies
- North Carolina's lobbying law.
- Visit the N.C. General Assembly website to find contact information for your state Representative and Senator. Tell them that Rural Counts
- See our list with contact info for each member of the N.C. Congressional Delegation, along with a guide to the federal appropriations process and a 2017 Congressional calendar.
- April 2017- Spring into Advocacy
- Break News: American Health Reform Act Information
- March 2017- Rural Day
- Februrary 2017- Inaugural Issue
- Bridging the Rural/Urban Divide
- Navigating Change: The Rural Development Implications of the State and Federal Elections
Director of Advocacy