College internship program to develop community leaders
The State Employees' Credit Union and the N.C. Rural Center will launch an internship program for college students in summer 2013. Created to foster a new generation of community leaders, the program will place 35 college students in rural county governments for four to six weeks of service.
Called the Public Service Internship Program, it is sponsored by the credit union and will be administered by the Rural Center in cooperation with participating county governments.
Students will be selected this spring for internships in their home counties. Selected students will:
- Be placed in county government and paired with an internship supervisor
- Explore career options through job shadowing experiences
- Participate in regular county commission meetings and other critical community discussions
- Contribute to high-profile community projects
- Participate in an orientation session in Raleigh and one-day bus tour to study innovation in rural communities
- Hone leadership skills through training sessions, one-on-one mentoring and project development, documentation and presentation.
- Receive a stipend of $2,500 for 160 hours of work
Applications are being accepted through March 29. A state-level review committee will select finalists from the total application pool. Final decisions will be made by the participating counties based on application review and personal interviews.
College students with current or former residence in one of North Carolina's rural counties are eligible to apply. Students must be rising sophomores or juniors enrolled in one of the 16 institutions of the University of North Carolina or enrolled in a two-year college program in one of North Carolina's 58 community colleges.
Participating counties: Alleghany, Ashe, Beaufort, Bertie, Bladen, Burke, Camden, Carteret, Caswell, Cherokee, Chowan, Cleveland, Columbus, Currituck, Davie, Duplin, Edgecombe, Franklin, Granville, Greene, Halifax, Harnett, Haywood, Hertford, Hyde, Iredell, Jackson, Johnston, Jones, Lee, Macon, Madison, Martin, McDowell, Mitchell, Montgomery, Moore, Nash, Northampton, Onslow, Pamlico, Perquimans, Person, Pitt, Robeson, Rockingham, Rutherford, Scotland, Stanly, Stokes, Surry, Swain, Union, Vance, Warren, Watauga, Wayne, Wilkes, Wilson, Yadkin.
Download program flyer for sharing