Homegrown Leaders is a three-day regional leadership and community economic development training that equips existing and emerging leaders with the skills they need to lead long-term economic advancement in their community and region. In 2018-2020 we served 31 western counties and in 2022 we served 42 eastern counties.
Central Training – Region 2
Alamance, Anson, Cabarrus, Davidson, Gaston, Guilford, Iredell, Lincoln, Mecklenburg, Montgomery, Randolph, Rockingham, Rowan, Stanley, and Union Counties
Training will take place July 18-20 in Asheboro.
Applications for this cohort have closed.
Region 2 Application and Selection Timeline
This is a two-step process. You must apply AND if selected, complete registration and payment.
- June 16, 2023 | Application period closes.
- June 21, 2023 | Accepted applicants are notified and registration opens.
- June 30, 2023 | Registration completed ($250 registration fee is due).
- July 18-20, 2023 | Homegrown Leaders Training
- Gain an understanding of the importance of a regional lens for both building long-term solutions to common problems and innovative opportunities for growth.
- Learn and apply skills needed to address current and emerging critical issues and economic trends that will impact the future of their communities and regions:
- Economic development – Participate in an examination of the building blocks of community economic development; receive an analysis of current data and regional economic trends, take part in an exploration of critical local/regional economic development issues and opportunities; and learn how rural community leaders can eliminate barriers and expand opportunity for marginalized populations and the future economic well-being of all rural North Carolinians and their communities.
- Leadership development – Learn collaborative leadership skills; explore emotional intelligence; and learn strategies for working with others and leading in difficult conversations.
Build relationships by networking with other leaders from the region.
“Homegrown Leaders took me out of my comfort zone and exceeded my expectations. This training was an excellent experience. Thanks for this wonderful opportunity allowing me to gain knowledge to go back and share with my community.”
Elizabeth City, NC May 2022
Lumberton, NC June 2022